Unclaimed MoniesSign Up For e-NotificationsUnclaimed MoniesSign Up For e-Notifications

California Government Code Section 50050 provides that unclaimed monies, excluding restitution to victims or as otherwise provided by law, which remain in the County treasury for at least three (3) years may be escheated to the County's General Fund after public notice. At the end of the three-year period, unclaimed items over $15 must be published in a newspaper of county-wide circulation as notice that these funds will become property of the County if they remain unclaimed after a specified date, 45-60 days after publication. Once the unclaimed items become the property of the County, a claim may no longer be submitted. 


To submit Abandoned Property proceeds:

  • Make check payable to SDTTC.
  • Include a letter with your contact information, the property owner’s name, the amount per owner (if one check is for multiple owners), the nature of the property (e.g. apartment or storage unit location, itemized auction receipt, etc.), and any documentation that may assist in identifying the rightful owner. Note that all provided documentation becomes public record, except for confidential information like social security numbers and personal addresses (which will be redacted).
  • If you would like a receipt, enclose a receipt for us to sign and return.


Review the following link to locate unclaimed abandoned property:


If you locate a deposit that you believe is owed to you, please complete the Abandoned Property Claim Form provided below. The County of San Diego has a duty to release funds to the rightful claimant, and we require that proof of identification be provided. Claims may be made directly to the County of San Diego without any service charges or fees.

Your signature must be notarized if your claim exceeds $500.*

The claim form provides the following guidelines for proof of identity:


  • A copy of current photo identification for each claimant.
  • Verification of address, if mailing address if different from original mailing address or photo identification.


  • Copy of current photo identification for the authorized agent signing the form.
  • Letter of Authorization on company letterhead with the names of officers or officials with authority to sign and claim on behalf of the business.
  • If your company merged with another company, a copy of the merger agreement.
  • If your company was dissolved, a copy of the articles of dissolution.


San Diego County – Treasurer-Tax Collector 
*Attn: Abandoned Property Claims
 1600 Pacific Highway, Room 152
San Diego, CA 92101-2475

All claim forms are reviewed in detail. If adequate documents are not provided with the submitted claim, all documents will be returned to the claimant along with a letter explaining why the claim was denied. Please allow four to six (4-6) weeks processing time.

Questions regarding abandoned properties should be directed to the Accounting Division of the Treasurer's Office at (619) 531-4743 or (619) 531-4704.