Abandoned Properties

When property is abandoned, we try to reunite it with its rightful owner. Browse the list to see if your name is on it and learn how to file a claim form below.

Select List

Filing a Claim

If you believe you are owed money on the list, fill out an Abandoned Property Claim Form and submit it to our office.

With the form, you must include documents that prove your identity.


  • A copy of current photo identification for each claimant. 
  • Verification of address if your mailing address if different from original mailing address or photo identification.


  • Copy of current photo identification for the authorized agent signing the form. 
  • Letter of Authorization on company letterhead with the names of officers or officials with authority to sign and claim on behalf of the business. 
  • If your company merged with another company, a copy of the merger agreement. 
  • If your company was dissolved, a copy of the articles of dissolution.

Return the completed form and supporting documentation to:

San Diego County – Treasurer-Tax Collector
*Attn: Abandoned Property Claims
1600 Pacific Highway, Room 152
San Diego, CA 92101-2475

We review all claim forms carefully. If you do not submit the correct documents, our office will return all documents to you with a letter explaining why the claim was denied. Please allow 4-6 weeks of processing time.

If you have questions about Estates of Deceased, call the Accounting Division of the Treasurer's Office at (619) 531-4743 or (619) 531-4704.

Submitting a Deposit

To submit Estates of Deceased proceeds:

  • Make check payable to SDCTTC. 
  • Include a letter with your contact information, the name of the decedent, the name of the heir if known, the amount per heir (if one check is for multiple heirs), the nature of the property (e.g. court order for distribution showing heir's share and probate case #), and any documentation that may assist in identifying the rightful owner. Note that all provided documentation becomes public record, except for confidential information like social security numbers and personal addresses (which will be redacted). 
  • If you would like a receipt, enclose a receipt for us to sign and return.


Any abandoned property that remains unclaimed in the Treasury for three years must be turned over to the County's General Fund. Before the money is transferred, we try to give people one last chance to claim it.

Every summer, our office publishes a list of items over $15 in a county-wide newspaper. We then give people 45-60 days to file a claim. After the money becomes the County's property, it can no longer be claimed.